BIO | SUN SALUTATIONS SERIES | ASANA FUNDAMENTALS | BANDHAS | YOGA
21 REASONS TO PRACTICE SURYA NAMASKAR
The poses within the Sun Salutation series contain a wide range of movements: forward bend, back bend, being still, lengthening the spine, grounding the feet, strengthening the upper body, stretching the hamstrings, expanding the lungs and more. This is an ideal way to warm up the body at the beginning of a yoga practice. By paying attention to the breath and hearing the breath, we also work the mind. The Sun Salutations allows us to center ourselves and quiet our wandering mind while strengthening and relaxing our body.
The Sun Salutation is very effective in teaching us about the vinyasa, connecting the breath to the movement. Every movement is associated with a breath. All upward facing movements are done on a inhale, while all downward facing movements are done on an exhale.
Other benefits of the Sun Salutations are listed below. To see the poses, click on the right under Sun Salutation Series for the A, B, C and L series.
1. It can be practiced by anyone, anywhere, anytime.
2. It takes only minutes.
3. It acts on the entire body.
4. It requires no props or equipment.
5. It tones up the digestive system by stretching and compressing the abdominal region.
6. It massages the viscera (liver, stomach, spleen, intestines, kidney).
7. It synchronizes movements with breathing, thoroughly ventilates the lungs, oxygenates the blood, acts as a disintoxicant, and gets rid of carbon dioxide and other toxic gases.
8. It increases cardiac activity and blood flow and warms the extremities.
9. It tones up the nervous systems by stretching and bending the spinal column and regulates the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.
10. It promotes good sleep.
11. It improves memory.
12. It allays worry and calms anxiety.
13. It stimulates and normalizes endocrine glands, thyroid in particular, activity by compression and decompression of the neck.
14. It refreshes the skin and clears complexion.
15. It improves muscle structure of the whole body.
16. It controls activity in the uterus and ovaries, helps pins and assists in childbirth.
17. It prevents flat feet and strengthens the ankles.
18. It helps to get rid of fat in the stomach, hips, thighs, neck, and chin.
19. It increases immunity to disease.
20. It lends grace and ease to movements.
21. It revives and maintains youthfulness.